Smoked Roasted Garlic "Cheesy" MAC & CHEESE
The creamiest Mac & Cheese! Or should I say Mac & Veggies! This is my roasted garlic creamy cheese sauce that I love! One thing about me is I don’t measure in the kitchen and I’ve found this recipe is very giving! So have fun with it!
The main veggies are cauliflower and carrots. I added a russet potato and sometimes I’ll add some butternut squash. It all depends on what I have on hand! Also, feel free to roast some broccoli to add to the finished product! It’s amazing!
Nutritional yeast is always an option for a plant based cheese sauce but I tried to create this recipe without using it :) It turned out so good. I think the key here is the smoked paprika, it almost gives it a smoked cheddar vibe.
• GF pasta (jovialfoods is my favorite)
• 2 cups of diced carrots - about 4-5 carrots
• 1 cup of cauliflower
• 1 russet potato - optional
• 1 yellow onion
• Head of garlic
• Can of coconut milk
• 1 TBSP of Coconut oil
• 1 TBSP of olive oil
• 1 TBSP of arrowroot flour
• 1/4 tsp of smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp of turmeric
• 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
• 1/4 tsp of oregano
• 1/4 tsp of Pink salt
• Pinch of pepper
• Wash and cut up carrots, cauliflower, and russet potato and boil in water or steam until tender
• Cook pasta and set aside until the sauce is done
• Wrap 5-6 cloves of garlic (skin on) with a dash of olive oil in foil and put in the oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes until roasted - let cool and the garlic should slide right out of the skins
• In a pan sauté 1 yellow onion on medium heat 3-4 minutes and then add in 2 cloves of minced garlic. Add in a spoonful of coconut oil, turmeric, thyme, oregano, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and stir for 4 minutes until fragrant
• Once fragrant, add in olive oil and arrowroot flour.
• Mix until a little clumpy and then add in the can of coconut milk and stir into a sauce
• Using a Vitamix or a high speed blender add in tender veggies(drained from water), roasted garlic (skins removed) and the coconut milk onion and arrowroot mixture to the blender
• Blend until creamy! Taste and adjust seasonings, more salt, spices, etc.
• Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and enjoy!
*** I always sprinkle smoked paprika on top with thyme and oregano for serving!
Make sure to tag #ericajanehealth so I can see and share your creations!